_In 1954 Juan & Bessie Gutierrez
started their first restaurant, The Chile Pepper, on First Street in
Yuma, Arizona. That began the tradition of serving their customers
reasonably priced food, using high quality ingredients, made fresh
In 1960 they opened La Casa Gutierrez on South Orange
Avenue in Bessie's mother's historic home. This also was the place where
they began producing corn & flour tortillas. Thus the beginning of
their tortilla facilities.
By 1963 they were ready to expand and
purchased the old Taco Lita Drive-In on Fourth Avenue and Fifth Street
and renamed it Mr. G Drive-In. This is when their son, Gilbert Gutierrez
joined the business. That building's life ended in 2008 when a new Mr. G
Drive-In replaced it at the same location.
After years of being
located in Palm Plaza Shopping Center, in 1991 Bessie relocated The
Chile Pepper to a new building on West 24th Street. She dedicated it to
her husband Juan, who passed away in 1989.
Gutierrez's Restaurants, still family owned & operated, would not
have been successful all these years without our committed employees and
loyal customers. We are grateful to the Yuma community and feel it is
important to give back. We are strong supporters of the Yuma Community
Food Bank and Crossroads Mission, as well as local school programs.